Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
GMC 2001 Sierra 2500HD 8.1L V8 - Thoughts???
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-25 4:52 PM
3 replies, 7911 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

DrivinMeBuggy
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-02 6:17 PM (#2106)
Subject: GMC 2001 Sierra 2500HD 8.1L V8 - Thoughts???

I have a chance at the above mentioned truck. It's in VERY clean condition and has 60k miles on the clock. It has the 4.10 axle. Extended cab. Short box. 4x4.

I shall be pulling a 6500# gooseneck (20' on the floor) plus 2x 1500# horses, a cart, hay, water , harness etc. Sometimes there will be no cart (400#) but a 3rd horse at 1500#.

I don't do a great deal of hauling, mostly to local shows and trail rides a couple times a month during the summer but I do want to be sure to have plenty of power when I do :-)

When not hauling this would be my day-to-day vehicle and I put about 8000 miles a year on my current truck.

Does anyone please have any thoughts as to whether this truck would suit or is it overkill for what I want? Any scare stories I should know about this particular engine (except that I anticipate that it would be VERY thirsty!)

Also, I can't get a Blue Book idea as to value because it doesn't include the 8.1L engine...how much would that engine add to the value over the more common sizes?

Thanks so much for any thoughts you can share with me
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-04 2:48 PM (#2111 - in reply to #2106)
Subject: RE: GMC 2001 Sierra 2500HD 8.1L V8 - Thoughts???

It sounds like it would work well for what you are doing. The 8.1L has plenty of power. I haven't dealt with it in pickup trucks, but I have dealt with it in medium duty trucks. It seems to be a good engine. I don't remember dealing with any major recurring issues. It doesn't sound like you put a lot of miles on one, so even though your gas mileage won't be that great, the fuel $ difference between it or a diesel won't be much even over a year's time. 
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-10-06 8:17 PM (#2122 - in reply to #2106)

Make sure you have a BIG GAS credit card...

My day to day truck is a 2000 Chevy 2500 7.4 with the smaller rear end...day to day driving is expensive, but when I have to use it as a backup tow vehicle I swear the gas gauge goes down sa the rpms go up...

My primary tow is a 2007 GMC 3500 Duramax...and it seems like the fuel gauge stays stationary...

Diesel is relatively more expensive, but in the long run I'd shop for a Diesel...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-10-06 8:18 PM
LIVE2RUN
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-10-25 4:52 PM (#2146 - in reply to #2106)

I have a 2002 Chev Silverado 2500Hd with the 8.1L.  I currently haul a 18ft LQ 3h slant trailer, steel frame alum skin. I have hauled this trailer only once so far up the mountains loaded for camping.  I was only hauling one horse however, the truck never over heated, it had the power to climb the moutains, and these were steep mountains, but I feel if I had two more horses in the trailer the truck would be gutless...I had it to the floor and I was doing about 45-55mph up the mountain.....its been a great truck so far and we have about 109k miles on it..we had to replace our transfer case twice, other than that is been great.  However I am looking to get a diesel for better gas mileage when I haul....I am interested in the duramax....or cummins at this point.

I think for what you want to haul I would look into the diesels.....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)