Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins/ Auto, Strange Tranny Behavior
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-26 9:50 PM
0 replies, 4615 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

deeredriver_kev
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-26 9:50 PM (#2179)
Subject: 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins/ Auto, Strange Tranny Behavior

I own a 2005 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab Laramie 4x4 diesel/ automatic trans. This is strictly a towing vehicle, and it does an amazing job at it. We've only put 24,000 miles on it so far, but I have noticed the transmission shifts very strangely, almost as if it 'double shifts' between gears? I pull a 39 foot, 3 horse Sundowner living quarters trailer with it and it pulls just fine, but when it shifts from 2-3 it will basically shift twice very rapidly (Like it hits a sub gear for a split second). Then once in third gear you must wrap the engine up to around 2,700-2,900 RPM then completely take your foot off of the accelerator for it to 'doublt shift' again into overdrive with a load. Once in overdrive it will drop your RPM's to about 1,700-1,800 and the true torque of the Cummins engine shows up and it pulls right on after that.

We've had 4 Dodges (None of which were bad...), and one Ford (Which was a mistake.. A huge, gray, poor mileage, terrible towing sled... 2002 7.3L...) trucks so far, and this one is the best one so far. The only modification I have done is I cut out the stock muffler and installed an Aero Turbine muffler to free up the exhuast a bit.

I am just curious to see if anyone else has a similar truck that has noticed similar characteristics? I'm assuming it is completely normal, there are no clunks or rattles, just quick, noticeable shifts. This truck is perfect, except the four speed auto trans could use a gear or two more.... But for what it is, it does an outstanding job and it has outpulled numerous Fords down the interstate.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)