Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck, trailer, camper question. Need info!
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-24 4:57 PM
5 replies, 6325 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Cashbaby
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-06-21 9:38 PM (#5010)
Subject: Truck, trailer, camper question. Need info!

I posted this on the barrel horse board, but someone suggested I post over here.

I recently got a camper. My dad found it, and bought it before I could see it. I was looking for something under 9ft with a shower. He found a 9 ft for a smoking deal, which is why he bought it so fast, he did not want someone else to get it before us.

Also my dad was POSITIVE I could have a 9 foot camper and haul my 3 horse because he had the same set up several years ago.

I can't.

My long winded question is: An extender hitch came with the camper and I did try it out. I can hook up just fine. I am wondering if this is infact safe. I have seen some other rigs set up like this at races. I got the extender used, so I have no idea if it is "rated" for a certain weight. Does anyone know more about this? I dont' want to sell the camper and start looking for another one, but I need to make sure this is a safe way to haul.

Any help or information would be wonderful. Obviously, my dad is not a good sorce of information, but he means well
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-06-22 9:15 AM (#5011 - in reply to #5010)
Subject: RE: Truck, trailer, camper question. Need info!

I have seen a few of these around and try to stay far away from them. Eevryone I see going down the road ALWAYS wiggles one side of the road to the other because of the weight being so far behind the trucks axle. As far as the extender goes, I would have to say your load limit would be cut in half or close to it depending on how far it extends out, I know that the hitch weight is dropped in half. ie: hitch rating 2-klbs down to 1-k and the gross towing wold be something like 10-k GVW under normal mounting conditions then with the extender would now be somewhere around 5/6-k lb. range.

Then you have to think about the truck and putting that much more weight a few feet further back than the bumper or hitch is mounted.

Sorry, but this is my opinion, I like my horses better than that.

So you may be fine if you was to get a smaller trailer or just haul 1 horse.
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-06-22 12:30 PM (#5013 - in reply to #5010)

I've never messed with campers and extended hitches- I know years ago I'd see things like this at rodeos and shows- but that was years ago. Do you have a reputable RV or camper sales place with a good service dept anywhere close to you? I'd try to find somebody knowledgeable to look at it and tell you what you have. I think I'd be real careful about that if you're planning on pulling three horses very much, and especially at highway speeds.
Cashbaby
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-06-22 10:11 PM (#5014 - in reply to #5013)

Ahhh, finally some answers to my questions! Great board.

I know my orginal hitch and ball are rated for 7,500 pounds. My extender hitch has no marking to indicate weight limits.

I think I am going to have to head to an RV dealership and ask some more questions. Now that I have a little more knowledge of what to ask about.

Anyone have any information or opinions on adding sway bars when using an extender?

Thank you so much for the information so far!

Like I orginally posted, I have seen a few people hauling a bigger camper, using a some what "flimsy" looking extender hitch and a 3 horse. I never thought it looked quite right and I don't want to repeat a mistake. I would never forgive myself if something happened.....

If I have to spend 1000 more dollars making this set up safe, I am going to have to rethink things.
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-06-23 1:58 PM (#5015 - in reply to #5010)

When I first read your post I thought about anti-sway bars, but again, I don't know if or how that works with your extended hitch.  
Cashbaby
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-06-24 4:57 PM (#5024 - in reply to #5015)

After researching everything I could find, I decided the best thing to do was forgot about any kind of extender hitch, and instead we are having a welder extend my trailer tongue. It will ease my mind while hauling, after all what's the point of getting a camper to haul to rodeo's and then risking the horse and other's?

Thanks for the help!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)