Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2010 F350 King Ranch Duper Duty Dually
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-25 1:19 PM
2 replies, 8365 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

kkschiller
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-15 12:56 AM (#5061)
Subject: 2010 F350 King Ranch Duper Duty Dually

ok I assume I am giving the title correctly - sorry if I am redundant

k I posted last week inquiring about trailers --- well, in the middle of designing one we stumbled across a finished 2009 Sundowner Luxury Series with incredible living quarters finished on the lot for about a 30 percent off the sticker of $170K. OK, so I have a huge problem - its approx 40' in length - 3 Horse with 18 ft SW with "double grand" 16 ft slideout. (I think the trailer is about 15000 empty and triple axle) Lots of LQ which we loved. Today at our show in 112 heat factor the LQ was GLORIOUS!

Now for my issue....I have a Ford Super Duty 2010 F350 that they said would haul it no problem -- well, NOT THE CASE!! On the 2+ hour drive home our dually chugged and jerked. It was so bad I got carsick and we had to stop. Then came the REAL FUN....it high-centered coming in our front gate and it won't fit over the RR crossing!!!!!!! EEEEKS!!! The sewer and water tanks would tear out.... I was told I could put a "after market" kit on the Ford Dually with some air shock lift thing that would help it a few inches.

The dealership insisted the truck's capacity was 24,000 lbs no problems - I am calling BS on it

Today when we went to a show it was a bit smoother with three horses in the back but it still drove rough enough to rattle the brake light plugs out a few times.

We brought someone out to look at the driveway about not only widening it - but fixing a 35+ ft grade/slope over the tracks - assuming that works. Which will cost a FORTUNE with no assurances.

My husband said today -- "buy a used Frieghtliner" - the people next to us had one and said with the electric lift they could jack theirs up almost a foot and had no problem. (Basically same thing happened to them) -- also the man suggested no matter what you do to the F350 it wouldnt be safe hauling that big of a load and within 18 months the transmission would be torn out!

I feel like DUMB BLOND POLLOCK of the YEAR - I now have a gorgeous trailer and its parked a mile up at my front gates on the road because it wont fit!!!!

So my question is -- Frieghtliner vs International??? Also anyone else have any thoughts on the F350 and the "after-market" kits??

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-08-16 12:44 PM (#5062 - in reply to #5061)
Subject: RE: 2010 F350 King Ranch Duper Duty Dually

No where near enough truck for the weight and size of that trailer..... Does not matter what the book tells you, common sence has to come in somewhere. You need to upgrade to at least a min. of a F-450 or F-550, if not F-650 or International or Frieghtliner. Not only your pulling power but STOPPING POWER!

The answer to your question would be flip a quarter.... There are both great trucks but both have different engines.

Try and contact 2L trucks in Poolville, Texas he could tell you more info on them.
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-08-25 1:19 PM (#5064 - in reply to #5061)
Subject: RE: 2010 F350 King Ranch Duper Duty Dually

There are several different "specs" when you get to the medium or heavy duty trucks, whether you are looking at Freightliner, International, or one of the others. Be especially careful if you're looking at some of the older trucks people put together  for haulers. They didn't always spec them real well to drive at the highway speeds and distances you'll probably want to use it for, and you can easily wind up with something you aren't happy with.  Waylon at 2L is a good source and very knowledgeable.  

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)