Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cat 3116
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-09-24 11:36 AM
17 replies, 11526 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Phranch
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-15 8:50 AM (#5070)
Subject: Cat 3116

First, I am total newbie on diesel trucks. But I saw this beautiful '92 Kodiak C65 w/3116, 6 speed on the net that winked at me and I'm over whelmed! I am looking for a truck to pull a 3 horse 4 Star trailer, 9' sw, with full LQ, and worry that this little 180hp will require shifting my brains out in our steep, curvy Ozark hills. I have seen some very knowledgable advice from your members and hope someone can set me straight--if that is possible, given space available here and my ignorance! Thanks for your help!! (I'm not even real sure how this forum thing works.)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-09-16 3:33 PM (#5071 - in reply to #5070)
Subject: RE: Cat 3116

You are right about the 180 HP not being enough, in my opinion. Another thing to find out is what the top speed of that truck is, and is that minus 10 or 15 MPH enough for what you do? Many of the medium duty trucks of that time had a top speed of 65 MPH, and that's against the governor. You don't want to run down the highway with your engine RPM maxed out all the time. You didn't say how many miles are on it, or how many miles per year you will be using it. In my experience, the 3116 (and the 3126) are not terribly long lived engines. They are, somewhat mistakenly, called throw-away engines. They aren't- they can be rebuilt, but it's expensive. Those would be a few of my initial concerns.
Phranch
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-16 4:04 PM (#5072 - in reply to #5070)

Windy--Thanks so much and that is exactly the kind of to the point, clearly stated advice I needed. I suspected it but I have no experience to help me. I'm sorry on the one hand as the truck is so NICE but you just saved me a bunch of remorse. I owe you one! Phranch
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-09-18 12:33 AM (#5074 - in reply to #5070)

Well I am late again. Here is my .02 worth.
I have a 1998 Kodiac I use for a 2 car wrecker, it has the 3116 cat (200hp) 4 speed auto. with 150-k miles now. Has been a great truck but SLOW! This truck will haul anything I need to but top end is 68/70 and it likes to run around the 63 to 65 range which does not sound bad until you stop and think about everyone else that is driving 70+ around you. There is not a lot of thing you can do to these engines to up the power, they are more of a workhorse than a speedster.

When I bought mine I was looking at the International as well and really liked the power and the fact that you can rebuild the International engine 2 or 3 times for what is cost to rebuild the cat engine. But since I am rather large the regular cab International just would not work for me.

Something you might look for is a full size single axle tractor. I am working on buying a 2000 Freightliner FLD112 with a 45" flat top sleeper single axle with a Cummins N14, 7 speed tanny and 280-k miles for 6-k, then will be installing a 10' or 12' flatbed. This turck tops out around 90 if you want to drive that fast.....
Phranch
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-18 10:19 AM (#5075 - in reply to #5070)

Hogtownboss--Thanks for the update. It echoes everything I've been hearing and makes me feel better for letting it go. Here's a couple dumb questions--flattop sleeper--does that mean the sleeper top does not extend above the cab? The dimension of 45"--I guess that would be from the back of the front seats to the rear of the sleeper? I've been looking at a lot of on-line sites like the one we're on but haven't seen anything as appealing as the Freightliner you refer to for 6k! I guess a good truck is like a good woman--they are where you find them! Probably the best deals come from an individual but I live out in the boonies and these aren't very common around here. The best thing for me to do is probably to forget about buying right now and to concentrate on learning from guys like you and Windy and checking in with you from time to time. I've learned a lot from these forums but often it is too specific as I need to really expand a good, general knowledge foundation. Thanks for taking time with me! Denny
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-09-19 12:09 AM (#5076 - in reply to #5075)

Hey Denny, No problem at all that is what this forum is set up for.

Yes the flat top sleeper is just a level roof like a regular pick up. So pretty much when hooked up to a horse trailer you should be close to level with the top most trailers.
The 45" sleeper is measured behind the front seats to the rear of the sleeper. This truck I am talking about is not any longer than my quad cab Dodge that we have now. I am in the used car buisness and buying this truck to fix up and resale so if you don't find anything let me know. I am not is a hurry to sell it yet. I am going to add a 10' or 12' flatbed, upgrade to alum. wheels and do some upgrades on the interior to spice it up alittle and more than likely turn the actual bed into a sleeper sofa like a crew cab truck.

I just lucked into this truck when I found it. I was looking for an autoshift or the dirrect drive tranny and everything else I have seen has been 9 to 13 speeds and was a pain trying to teach the better half how the splitter works and this truck with the 7 speed is just the ticket. Shifts just like any tranny does with no splitting gears.

Edited by hogtownboss 2010-09-19 12:13 AM
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-09-20 2:01 PM (#5077 - in reply to #5070)

The white truck is a flat top sleeper, and the blue one is a mid roof sleeper. The tallest ones are the condo type sleepers.

(Horse trailer hauler.jpg)

(IMG_4071.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Horse trailer hauler.jpg (46KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4071.JPG (96KB - 7 downloads)
Phranch
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-21 7:01 AM (#5079 - in reply to #5070)

Thanks Windy--A picture is worth a thousand words! Phranch
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-09-21 4:36 PM (#5080 - in reply to #5070)

The one I am looking at looks kind of like white International you have in the top picture but the one I am buying has wheel to wheel skirts and should look pretty good with a flatbed setting on the back with dual chrome stacks just above the roof line.
Phranch
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-21 7:27 PM (#5081 - in reply to #5080)

Thanks 'Boss, but you haven't answered my other questions (that I'm aware of)! Phranch
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-09-22 10:39 AM (#5083 - in reply to #5070)

HTB- if you want a line set for your truck with complete specs, email me the last 8 of the VIN and I'll pull it up for you. It sounds like a pretty good set up.

Edited to say; never mind- I just read your post. You're truck is a Freightliner. I can pull up info for Internationals, but I can't pull up that info on other makes. Sorry!
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-09-22 10:11 PM (#5085 - in reply to #5081)

Phranch - 2010-09-21 7:27 PM

Thanks 'Boss, but you haven't answered my other questions (that I'm aware of)! Phranch

Sorry what other questions did you have? I looked back to the top and did not see I missed any of them.
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-09-22 10:17 PM (#5086 - in reply to #5083)

windy - 2010-09-22 10:39 AM

HTB- if you want a line set for your truck with complete specs, email me the last 8 of the VIN and I'll pull it up for you. It sounds like a pretty good set up.

Edited to say; never mind- I just read your post. You're truck is a Freightliner. I can pull up info for Internationals, but I can't pull up that info on other makes. Sorry!

No problem, thanks for the info.
The truck just sound too cheap to me, so I thought I would try one out to see for myself. Alot of guys around here are going to the larger trucks. I will try it out and get it fixed up how I would want it then pop of a price and sell it like I do everything else. I looked on HTW and seen some listed anywhere from 10-k or so on up to 20-k range.
Phranch
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-23 7:26 AM (#5087 - in reply to #5086)

Sorry 'Boss--I somehow overlooked it! Thanks, Phranch
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-09-23 1:00 PM (#5088 - in reply to #5086)

hogtownboss - 2010-09-22 9:17 PM
windy - 2010-09-22 10:39 AM HTB- if you want a line set for your truck with complete specs, email me the last 8 of the VIN and I'll pull it up for you. It sounds like a pretty good set up.

No problem, thanks for the info. The truck just sound too cheap to me, so I thought I would try one out to see for myself. Alot of guys around here are going to the larger trucks. I will try it out and get it fixed up how I would want it then pop of a price and sell it like I do everything else. I looked on HTW and seen some listed anywhere from 10-k or so on up to 20-k range.

It sounds like something that ought to work real well. I don't usually see those with a seven speed- you're right, that will make it easier to drive. Those kind of miles, and especially on an N-14........well, it sounds real good! I'll bet you're going to like pulling with a big truck. They work especially well out in this country where we deal with the mountains all the time. If I can be of any help with sources or info, just let me know. 
Bill 
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-09-23 11:55 PM (#5089 - in reply to #5070)

Thanks a bunch...

I do have a question about this truck. I went to check it out alittle better today, I let it idle 10 mins or so while I walked around looking at other things on the truck. THen was checking out the inside and gauges, went to race it up a little and it acted like it was cutting out around 1400rpms or so, kind of like a rev limiter and a light on the dash come on for a split second that showed "stop engine" when it idled down it went right off.

Did not have time to drive it, will be going back on Friday around lunch to drive it. Is there something I can check without havind to take it to a dealer?

All fluids look fine, all gauges was fine.
Phranch
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-24 7:48 AM (#5090 - in reply to #5070)

Hey 'Boss--I gotta admit I'm pretty confused. I've never asked about a specific truck other than the C65 with a Cat 3116. Then you talked about the 2000 Freightliner, 45" flattop sleeper, (7 ?) speed, 250k miles for about 6k which got my attention. I had sent some questions about what mods you were going to do, if it was for sale now and what eventual price you might ask. Then you mentioned this (different?) Freightliner that you went to check out and let idle, etc, and asked if there was something you could check without going to a dealer. How did it get into the picture? Seems like I may have missed out on a message or two! Then Windy got back in with something I didn't connect to either! Everyone is trying to be very helpful to me and going out of their way and actually go check out a truck and I come across like an ingrate because I've been asleep or something! I AM confused but certainly not unappreciative! Denny
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-09-24 11:36 AM (#5092 - in reply to #5090)

Phranch - 2010-09-24 7:48 AM

Hey 'Boss--I gotta admit I'm pretty confused. I've never asked about a specific truck other than the C65 with a Cat 3116. Then you talked about the 2000 Freightliner, 45" flattop sleeper, (7 ?) speed, 250k miles for about 6k which got my attention. I had sent some questions about what mods you were going to do, if it was for sale now and what eventual price you might ask. Then you mentioned this (different?) Freightliner that you went to check out and let idle, etc, and asked if there was something you could check without going to a dealer. How did it get into the picture? Seems like I may have missed out on a message or two! Then Windy got back in with something I didn't connect to either! Everyone is trying to be very helpful to me and going out of their way and actually go check out a truck and I come across like an ingrate because I've been asleep or something! I AM confused but certainly not unappreciative! Denny

Sorry Denny, my bad.....
I was replying to your original post, then got off on talking about alittle larger truck with more top end speed.

I am trying to buy the Freightliner from our bank which is the same one I have ask Windy about. I know quite a bit about regular diesel trucks but when you get up into the heavy duty trucks I am kind of lost on some stuff. The issues I am asking Windy about is something I am lost on. Regular Dodge, Ford and even the early 3116 and 3126 cat engines I can pretty much figure out, but this larger N14 Cummins is computer controlled.
Windy is in the International end of the buisness (i think) and was going to run the vin for me to give me some details and specs. on the truck the relalized I was talking about a Freightliner slo he corrected the post.

My plans for this truck is install a 10' or 12' flatbed with a gooseneck hookup and remove the factory 5th wheel. Install a sofa bed out of a conversion van in the sleep part, change the front seat out of the same van then install a custom wood dash and door panel kit. And install some polished alloy wheels. I will try to get a picture of the truck like it is now maybe this will give you an idea on what I an talking about.

If all goes well we will be using this truck to go the the mounted shooting world and put up for sale when we get back.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)