Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
GMC 5500 with a propane conversion?
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-12-15 2:16 PM
6 replies, 15531 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

doglady
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-12-10 8:39 PM (#5140)
Subject: GMC 5500 with a propane conversion?

Mrs. Troy

We are looking at a GMC 5500 truck with a propane conversion.  It is an 06 with 170,000 and has been very well taken care of.   It was serviced regularly and our mechanic says the engine looks good.
My question is has anyone pulled a horse trailer with a truck like this and what kind of milage would you expect?   Propane is running about 75 cents less than diesel in our area so we are thinking about buying it. 
thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
doglady
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-12-11 8:25 PM (#5141 - in reply to #5140)
Subject: RE: GMC 5500 with a propane conversion?

Mrs. Troy

No one with any ideas????   Please
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-12-12 11:20 PM (#5143 - in reply to #5140)

Propane conversion??? I guess you are talking about a truck with the 8.1 gas engine. Have not drove a GMC with the gas engine, but did have a Ford dump truck with the big block gas engine with propane and it was under powered while on propane. Not sure why but when I run it on straight gas it was fine but when on propane only it was not good while loaded.
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-12-13 2:05 PM (#5144 - in reply to #5140)

Years ago I had a Ford with the 460 gasoline engine that had a propane conversion. You could run it on either gas or propane. There is definately a power and mileage difference between gas and propane- I think they say about 20% less with propane. We live at 5000', so you lose another 20% because of the altitude. This was in the late eighties, early 90's. Now that I've pulled bigger heavier trailers with the turbocharged diesel pickups we have nowadays, I wouldn't go back. Now if it was for farm or ranch use, maybe pull a stock trailer a few miles when you have to, well, I'd be OK with that. One other thing is sometimes on propane they won't start real good when the temp gets down below 15 or 20 degrees. Start it on gasoline, let the engine warm up a little, then switch. Of course, I know it doesn't get cold up in your country! Hey, if you're at Akron next weekend, throw a rock at me!

Bill

doglady
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-12-13 6:53 PM (#5145 - in reply to #5140)

Mrs. Troy

Thanks,   This truck is total propane.   I looked up the conversion kind and now I can't remember.    The guy that had it said it was a pulling machine.   But, of course, he wasn't pulling a 32 ft 4-horse.   
We had a pickup in college that was gas or propane and it just pulled a 2-horse but did fine.   I know our diesels are hard to beat but the $3.25 a gallon and 7 mph are making it hard to go.
Bill, I was at Akron on Sunday but you weren't there!    I am not going this coming weekend-Riley and I are going to McCook.  Calf roping on Sat and barrels on Sun.
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-12-14 11:04 PM (#5146 - in reply to #5140)

I understand what you are talking about on the cost of diesel, but missed something on the 7mpg???? Either way my opinion I could and would pay the extra for the fuel just to have peace of mine and plenty of power while towing. If I was not going to haul anything I might think about a gas or propane truck, but for towing I will stick with diesel and use the propane for extra boost if needed or water/meth injection.

doglady
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-12-15 2:16 PM (#5147 - in reply to #5146)

Mrs. Troy

hogtownboss - 2010-12-14 11:04 PM I understand what you are talking about on the cost of diesel, but missed something on the 7mpg???? Either way my opinion I could and would pay the extra for the fuel just to have peace of mine and plenty of power while towing. If I was not going to haul anything I might think about a gas or propane truck, but for towing I will stick with diesel and use the propane for extra boost if needed or water/meth injection.

Our freightliner with the horse trailer just gets 7 mpg.   With the little 3 horse bumper pull with me driving under 65 I have gotten 10 but my husband and son and the big trailer and the way they drive it is bad.
We were looking to find something a little cheaper to drive that could pull the big trailer if needed but would usually just have the smaller trailer on it.
I have a gas Ford that is my usual truck.  It is a 3/4 and does fine with the bumper pull and the 20ft stock trailer.  It gets about 8-10 depending.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)