Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2008 Ford Explorer - can it safely tow a 2-horse
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-19 11:15 PM
1 replies, 5245 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

JenFleet
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-15 6:16 PM (#2434)
Subject: 2008 Ford Explorer - can it safely tow a 2-horse

Mr. Truck and whoever else wants to chime in,

I thought I saw a review you wrote on this site about the 07 or 08 Explorer, but can't find it now. Maybe I read it somewhere else. So, I thought I'd go ahead and ask, can the newer V8 Explorers ('07s or '08s -- with tow package) SAFELY tow a two-horse trailer? The trailers I've been looking at are slant loads and weigh up to 5,000 lbs. I have two Arabian horses, but will usually only haul one of them.

I can do the math and see that on paper, I'd be within the towing capacity, and I'd get a WD hitch.

But, I keep getting told, over and over, that despite its tow rating, the Ford Explorer is still unsafe, as it will be lighter than my loaded trailer, and that I will be really suffering during long climbs (such as the Grapevine on I-5, here in CA). Also, that I will probably have tranmission problems, etc.

I've also been looking at Yukons and Tahoes (which have about the same towing capacity as the Explorer but are larger and heavier vehicles), and I would go ahead and get one of these larger SUVs if that is really necessary. But as this needs to be my full-time car as well....I'd really love to drive someting a little more maneuverable.

Any advice?

Thank you!
Jennifer
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brdrline
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-03-19 11:15 PM (#2436 - in reply to #2434)
Subject: RE: 2008 Ford Explorer - can it safely tow a 2-horse

Sparky

Can a Ford Explorer safely STOP with a 2-horse trailer and 1 or 2 horses (which move also) in it?  And, along with that, can it STOP without jackknifing  with such a short wheel base?

I've seen them used before.  I am not convinced they are safe.  The motors and drive are also not made to haul moving objects so you'll find many more things going wrong way before they are "supposed" to.  If you're only going a mile down the road each trip, then maybe you'll be ok.   JMO! 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)